Follow us

Brought in youngsters to replace seniors to make India No.1 in all formats: Saba Karim

no image

Ex-national selector Saba Karim has revealed how him and other members of the previous selection committee took the tough call to let go of senior players to propel Indian cricket forward. The ex-India keeper said the move to bring in youngsters was what took India to No.1 in all the three formats.

Karim said, "We came in as national cricket selectors in 2012, a year after India had won the ODI World Cup. There were a number of senior players with immense contribution to the team's success. But after winning the 2011 World Cup, India had lost a few series.

"So we had a vision on what we wanted to do in the next four years and that was to see India becoming No.1 team across all three formats of the game. We chose to select players who had high fitness levels, besides talent and skills, and slowly included them in the team. And eventually we met our goal of becoming number one in Tests, ODIs as well as Twenty20 cricket," in a discussion organised by Pro Wrestling League (PWL) on Friday, reported PTI.

Senior players like Virender Sehwag, Yuvraj Singh, Gautam Gambhir, and Zaheer Khan contributed in India's incredible run to the final and lifting the World Cup in 2011. However, the players were slowly phased out of the national team one after the other. Sehwag and Zaheer retired last year from all forms of cricket with the former expressing his hurt at being dropped unceremoniously without a farewell match. The answer by Karim only reveals the tough decisions the selectors make with sentiments at stake.

Karim had earlier also spoken about how he lost friends because he was doing a tough job that did not allow relationships to come in the way of his decisions.

At the event, Karim also talked about how ultimate game plan and implementation are the more important factors to achieve the goal but pointed out that Indians instead harp disproportionately on innovation and growth in sports, reported PTI.

Comments

Leave a comment

0 Comments

read previousIndia tour of England 2025 | Twitter reacts as Joe Root and Zak Crawley involved in comical collision at boundary
It is comedy and chaos at the same time when fielders come together while going for the same ball and it was on display during the second England-India Test. Joe Root and Zak Crawley ended up holding each other while going for the ball as the cherry sailed past both to the boundary at Edgbaston.
India vs England | Hosts heading towards a win after Ashwin's fiferread next
Ravichandran Ashwin added three more wickets to his Day 2 tally as India dispatched England for 255 runs in the first innings in the second Test at Vizag. Despite losing three quick wickets in their second innings, Virat Kohli's aggressive fifty increased India's lead to 298 runs by end of day 3.
View non-AMP page